.....and other random stuff......

Friday, May 22, 2015

My Brain Likes to F**k with Me

My brain likes to play a little game with me. It goes like this. At any time of the day or night it likes to play a song in my head.
On a loop.
A never ending loop….
And as the song is playing my brain says to me: “Your job, Robin, should you decide to accept it, is to name that tune aaaaaaaand where it comes from.”

Now my job is to figure out….. is it from a movie? What is the title of the movie? Or is it a song from my youth?  Who sings it? And why is my brain choosing to play THAT particular song NOW. Did I hear it on TV recently? Was it on the radio? Did I hear it in a store and subliminally save it? (These latter questions, I admit, are self imposed. All my brain wants is the name of the song.)

So there I was in the shower, minding my own business, innocently lathering my hair when….
♫♪♫♪♪♫Go home, go home, go home with bonnie Jean! Go home, go home IIIIIIIII'll go home with bonnie Jean!♪♫♪♫♪♫♪

Sometimes digging into my data banks and retrieving the information is easier than at other times. Sometimes the answer pops into my head as if by magic. But what gets me going is the WHY. 

WHY is this particular song bubbling to the surface NOW????

I have a theory…. (don’t I always???)
I think the information in our brains is like a big ball of string wound around and around itself. Over time the places that touch become less rigid, more ‘mushy’. The barriers break down and the pieces start to meld into one another and the data becomes corrupted and joined together. The sequencing gets confused.
So if I saw a movie in my youth and suddenly a song from that movie pops into my head (lo these many years later….) 
VoilĂ !
There you have it!

This theory explains soooo much!

At least about MY brain, I don’t know about YOURS…..

8 comments:

  1. You've got it, your brain is a ball of string --- I guessed that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....and if its any consolation, my brain is a ball of string too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the explanation, now it's much easier to cope with my own brain.

    I wake up in the mornings having a song in my mind. I seem to have a song for every situation and my ex used to say we live in a constant musical...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not alone. My brain is getting muschy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had received word an aunt passed away. In the wee hours of the morning, I woke up to Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy playing in my head. Wondered if it was a song Auntie loved from her youth? the song was recently used in an episode of Outlander which I had watched a few days before. I kind of liked the idea it was a favorite of Auntie's and a message from her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to hear I'm not the only one with a mushy brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really hate song loops! I get so sick of a song before it stops looping that I get a bit loopy myself!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!