.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My First REAL Job

I was in college and still using my parent’s car. But it became glaringly apparent that accommodating all our various schedules was becoming impossible.   
I needed a car of my own.
In order to buy a car I needed an income.
To have an income one needs a job.
I needed a job.

As it turned out the BIG COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY was hiring.
So, I filled out an application.

When they found out I was still going to school they said they wouldn’t hire me. I (naturally) lied and said I was taking ‘a sabbatical’.
They needed an official withdrawal.

 Official withdrawal obtained and delivered, they scheduled me for their assessment test.

It turns out the BIG COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY was rather picky about who they hire.
The day of the test I was with 29 other applicants. 28 of them were recent graduates of the local high school.
The testing lasted ALL DAY. There were aptitude tests, IQ tests, logic tests, directions tests (I kid you not! One test was a map and you had to follow a route without backtracking!)

Then we waited while they scored our tests.
Finally a woman came and took me into her office. 
Turns out, of the 30 of us who were tested that day, only one other guy and I passed!

At one point she told me I qualified for ALL the different positions they were hiring for.
I had my choice.
I could be a technician (the highest paid non-managerial job in the company) a clerk, a business rep or………and here comes the funny part……an operator.

I chose………yep…… operator.
The lowest paying (and lowest in rank, only one step above lunch lady, as it turned out.)

The reason I chose this lofty profession was many faceted;
1. My mother was an operator.
2. The office was only a mile from home.
3. It would work around my class schedule being shift work (as it turned out, not so much.)

In hindsight it makes me laugh when I think about it. But, I did learn a lot about people.  I did have some fun times. But best of all, it’s where I met Husband.

Without that awful job I wouldn’t be where I am today…………


8 comments:

  1. For every cloud, a silver lining - and what a lining to that job... you struck gold, not silver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where would any of us be without those first, low-level jobs? We sure learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As they say…Everything happens for a reason…and you have 2 beautiful boys you may not have had…in addition to that hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap! I met my wife at work too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, great story. sounds WAY better than my first job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its good to hear that your college education paid off !!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!