.....and other random stuff......

Friday, November 28, 2014

What I’m Reading

I was skeptical when I ordered this book.
I’ve read many ‘How to’ books….. ‘Making it in the Art World’……. ‘Crafting for $$$’s’……….. ‘Make Money Selling Your Art’……. yadda yadda yadda.
I am pleasantly surprised by this simple looking volume.
First I was taken by the title. Because this is the answer I usually give when people ask me what I ‘do’.
Unlike many of the other books that are either too simplistic or too vague this gives actual advice.
How to evaluate your strengths and weakness, assessing what market is right for your type of artwork and then how to go about getting it there.
Some of the suggestions you’re going to know already
Some maybe not.
But what struck me most is she has me questioning what I REALLY want out of what I’m producing.
Getting me past the pie in the sky dreams of notoriety (wink wink, nudge nudge) and making me take a realistic look at what is the right fit for ME.
I guess to many of you this is basic stuff.
But there have been one or two sentences that have practically reached out from the page and slapped me upside my head.
DUH!
I give it  ★★★★

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear you think it's useful, I will move it up on my book wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gonna look for it. getting ready for a booth at ArtPool Gallery - and wondering what, how, why? But…mostly excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to hear about books that actually make sense :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm alays sceptical about these books too. After all, if the author claims it's that simple to make money from your hobby why aren't they doing it instead of writing about it. It's different if they are a respected professional in their given field (n which casethey are often reluctant to share what makes them successful anyway) but often they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Might have to give this book a look see

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see your recommendation. I've been looking for a straightforward book to guide me in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!