.....and other random stuff......

Friday, November 21, 2014

Oscar’s Bookstore

It wasn’t the dark and musty place you imagine an independent bookstore to be. It was actually quite well lit. With rows of shelves and tables piled high with colorful volumes in a manner that can only be described as organized chaos. But there was a kind of intuitive logic to it. You could usually find what you needed, and if you couldn’t, Oscar could put his hands on just what you were looking for in a matter of seconds.

I first met Oscar when I went looking for a particular poem. I had gone to the big name bookstore at the mall but no one had ever heard of what I was looking for.
Blank stares.
It really wasn’t their fault. To be honest, even I didn’t know the title of the poem or who had written it.

I heard it on the radio.
I was listening to my favorite radio station one night when the sultry voice of the female DJ began reading what I can only describe as the most beautiful poem I had ever heard. At least I thought it was a poem. Free verse. About a boy and a tree. And how much the tree loved the boy.
It brought me to tears.

Of course I had to find it.

Then someone told me about Oscar’s.

As I stepped through the door I knew I was somewhere special.
This little unassuming storefront on New York Avenue turned out to be heaven.

The smell of old and new books and patchouli mingled with the sounds of psychedelic music playing quietly in the background.
Bearded men lazily leafed through existential leaflets.
Girls in ragged jeans and peasant blouses, babies on their hips, paged through picture books I had never seen before.
There was a feeling like no other bookstore or library I had ever visited.

Behind the counter sat Oscar. An elfin man with gray hair and wrinkled face that spoke of age and wisdom.
Perched on a high stool, knees drawn up, book in hand, reading glasses resting low on the tip on his nose.
He glanced up as I entered, and I thought I saw a twinkle in his eye that seemed to say, “Hello! I recognize a kindred spirit! Welcome!”

I didn’t waste any time, went up to the counter and described the poem I was looking for.

He smiled a slow, easy smile and said. “It’s not a poem but a children’s book.”
And like a magician wielding his wand, walked over to one of the book strewn tables, without even rummaging through them, pulled out a book and handed it to me!

Voilà!


I don’t know if it was the magic of Oscar and that wonderful day of finding his bookstore, but The Giving Tree is still my favorite book of all time.

6 comments:

  1. Robin, have you ever been to Hay on Wye? If not you must!!

    I love shops like these be they bookshops, bike shops, camera shops stffed by knowledgeable people with an obvious love for their job. Well, to them it probably isn't a job :-

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place and person to have come across, especially that he knew exactly what you were looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your description is brilliant. I feel as if I've visited Oscar and the bookshop, too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shel Silverstein. I used to read his books aloud to the kids over and over and when you said it was about a boy and a tree…I immediately knew what you were looking for. I still have a copy of the Giving Tree…and Where the Sidewalk Ends…and I'm thrilled to say that Sophia quoted "Hug O War" to me on Skype the last time we talked. And, BTW…this was so beautifully written that I felt I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely story Robin. The shop sounds a magical place. I hope that ebooks never replace our much loved tactile books. The Giving Tree. I will have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you had me at "bookstore" :)

    we have a little bookstore in town that sells used books. i go there about twice a month just to visit. the funds from the book sales go to our local library so i feel like every purchase is going to a good cause!

    i will definitely check out The Giving Tree...it sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!