.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I Hate Llamas

Because they’re mean!
And selfish!
And they SPIT!
I know!
I have firsthand experience.

We were at the zoo. We loved the zoo, my mother and I. The parasol ants were her favorites but me; I liked the baby animals in the petting zoo. So we always saved them for last.
I would take my quarter to the machine, crank out a handful of pellets, lovingly cradle them in my little hands and make a beeline for the lambs. They were so cute and fuzzy! I couldn’t wait to feel their velvety wet noses nibbling on the food.

But the llama had different ideas.

As I was making my way towards the lambs the llama was making his way towards me.
He came up behind me, leaned his long neck over my shoulder and began to eat my pellets!

How dare he!

I tried turning so he couldn’t reach them but to no avail.
I tried to nudge him away.
He kept coming.
Finally, I gave him a great big shove and he HISSED and SPIT at me!
It scared me so much that I threw the remaining pellets at him and ran for my life!

I guess when you run away from a llama that’s his cue to chase you.
He chased me all the way across the petting zoo yard!
When I got to the gate it was locked!
I did the only thing I could…..I climbed the fence!

As I was swaying at the top of the fence, llama nipping at my ankles, I saw my mother seated outside on the bleachers with the other mothers, laughing hysterically.
I kept crying for her to come save me but apparently when your six year old daughter is being marauded by wild beasts the proper protocol is to sit and laugh with your contemporaries!

My mother loved to tell this story. The part she liked best was how my ‘little red sneakers’ were just the right size to fit in the holes of the chain link fence.


Even as an adult I don't think I ever fully forgave her.  ;)

8 comments:

  1. Lol lol lol :D Sorry - I can't help that - I was with you till the punch line & you tell it so drily - too funny not to laugh :D But as a mother of an almost-6-yr-old I can honestly say I'd NEVER sit & laugh - I'd be TERRIFIED!! Shame in your mom :) & note to self: beware of lamas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it scarred you for life Lol!! Such a funny story Robin and a great little drawing of the event. I'm so glad I follow your blog, I love the whimsical way you have of telling your stories. You never fail to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh! (I find myself laughing too...oh dear)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-D I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it. You tell the best stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well...from my catching-up time here today ...i'd say you do have a lot of determination ...past and present...and i thought the music was 'right' for your little production....i always seem to have more projects waiting than products done...and squirrel finds it's way in way too often..

    ReplyDelete
  6. how scary for you! i'm surprised you didn't turn around and hiss and spit right back at the llama :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great drawing!! Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe you get your spirit from your mother. I am afraid I would have been there to save you, I admire your mom for not doing that. Great story, great picture. It made me smile.... again!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!