.....and other random stuff......

Monday, January 13, 2014

Hope Springs Eternal

Construction is starting to pick up here in our neck of the woods.
I find it exciting. Not the houses being built, the commercial construction.

It’s like looking forward to Christmas. Or your birthday.
Wondering what you’re going to get as a present.

One day as Husband and I were running errands we happened to pass a new construction site.
“Oh boy!” I exclaimed. “Look! They’re building something new!”
My mind was racing with thoughts of the possibilities. It wasn’t going to be another strip mall, or dollar store. You could tell that just by looking.
AND they were leaving a big area for a parking lot!
A stand alone building with a large parking lot!
“Maybe it’s going to be a Barnes & Noble!” I squealed!

Months go by and every time we pass the site my anticipation grows.

Yesterday as we were passing it looked like they were beginning to work on the inside.
Several large tractor trailers were parked nearby.
I had visions of containers full of shiny new books, magazines, Kindles…….. ♫♪♫♪♫♪Hosannas♫♪♫♪♫♪

Later that evening as I was watching TV, Husband looked up from his laptop and said, “Brace yourself. I found out what that building is going to be.”

My heart skipped a beat as I looked lovingly at my husband.
He took off his glasses and solemnly said……. “It’s going to be a GoldenCoral.’

A Golden Coral?????????
My heart sank!

I can hear the city council now, “Hey guys, I have a great idea! Lets’ bring in some businesses that will promote our city and make it a well known destination for vacationers and people looking for a cultured retirement destination. Let’s build a Golden Coral!”

Okay, I applaud them for giving work to the construction industry. I think it’s great that it will provide employment for people. It’s wonderful it will bring in revenue for the city……

But would it kill them to build a bookstore?

6 comments:

  1. Actually, I'd like the Golden Corral or The Trough, as we call it. I'd be able to get my husband to go out to eat somewhere besides fast food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter loves Golden Corral. She could eat her weight in mashed potatoes!! I refuse to eat there…ugh!

    I'm with you. We have a B&N Bookstore about 3 blocks away. It's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have a Golden Corral around here, but I've seen commercials on tv. They have a chocolate fountain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the bright side I guess you could read your book IN there whilst you have a meal!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg! How utterly disappointing. Yes, why NOT book store? Because people don't read real books anymore. They have kindle. My feeling is that if you ate in there you'd be sitting with your book somewhere else. ha ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!