.....and other random stuff......

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Jekyll & Hyde


Have I mentioned Son2 was a bit of a smart aleck when he was little? (I have NO idea where he gets it from!)
Well, keep that in mind as this story unfolds.

When Son2 was about six years old we heard about a fun new restaurant in the city called Jekyll & Hyde.

It’s an ‘interactive’ themed restaurant based on the story Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson.

The one we went to (now defunct) was in a building with three or four floors and each floor was a different ‘theme’.
One floor was the laboratory, another the library….etc.

We were seated in the library at a table against the wall, and on the wall above us was a mounted Rhino head. (I guess Dr. Jekyll was also a big game hunter.)

Well, Son2 was complaining about one thing and another and ALL OF A SUDDEN THE RHINO STARTED REPRIMANDING HIM!
Not just vague comments but specific responses to what Son2 was saying! AND telling him he was being rude and disrespectful!

The look on Son2’s face was PRICELESS!
AND it actually shut him up!
(Something we were never able to do!)

He sat quietly through the whole meal but never took his eyes off the Rhino as she continued to talk to him.

I found out later that they have cameras and microphones placed strategically around the restaurant and that the waiters and waitresses are actors. They listen and improvise as they serve the patrons.

I think I left the biggest tip in my life that night! (And I also thanked the Rhino for her help.)

We used that Rhino for months after to keep Son2 in line. (Sort of like when you say Santa is watching as a threat, we used the Rhino! LOL)

Later, when he was old enough to know how it worked Son2 still didn’t think it was funny, but it’s one of my fondest family memories!

3 comments:

  1. So so funny! His little face must have been a picture when the rhino first started talking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have gone screaming out of there

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm sure he didn't think it was funny...and still doesn't but I'm with you! Hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!