.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I Am a Grammar Snob


I am a grammar snob. Not that I am, in any way shape or form, GOOD at grammar.
Just read this blog for proof.
No, what I mean is when I spot a grammatical error in something I am reading I get all snobby and judgmental and feel sooooo superior that I found a mistake that the PROFFESIONALS made.

I only feel this way with printed material, a book, magazine, or newspaper.
(Okay, maybe online professional publications too.)

But I don’t get all judgey with blogs or other non-professional printings because, hey, I’m right there with ya’!
I could probably be one of the top ten worst spellers in history, if they ever compile a list. And I think I slept through all of my English classes in school.

What set me off on this tirade you may wonder?
Wither…that’s what!
In a magazine I came across this sentence, “I whither away without my friends camaraderie.’
Even as I type it Word highlights it as a misspelling!

Does this drive anyone else crazy? (Or is it just me? LOL)

6 comments:

  1. Deep sigh. And maybe whither will become the accepted spelling just as affect has replaced effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She just didn't know whether she was whithering or withering. Thither or whither. I'd ruther not read writing wrought with (you think of this one)...makes me wrothful ... just wrathful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or perhaps she was whining while withering and wanted to get the whole muddle of sentiments out in one quick word? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, you are not alone. I can't count how many letters I have written to you-know-which newspaper with grammar/usage corrections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin, you are not alone. I can't count how many letters I have written to you-know-which newspaper with grammar/usage corrections.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!