.....and other random stuff......

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Limburger Cheese


Grandpa loved Limburger cheese. (Go figure!)

He once got up in the middle of the night to make himself a midnight snack.

It was late and he didn’t want to disturb the rest of the family so he didn’t turn on the light in the kitchen. He just got the cheese out of the ice box, grabbed the bread and went to town.

The next morning my Grandmother went into the ice box, saw the cheese, turned to Grandpa and said, “How was that sandwich last night?”

“Very good.” He said.

Then she showed him the cheese.

It was crawling with maggots!

Grandpa just laughed and said, “Best Limburger cheese sandwich I ever ate!”

There are so many things wrong with that story I don’t even know where to begin……!

6 comments:

  1. Ow my gosh - that's a disgusting twist! I KNEW a twist was in the works, but I never saw this one coming :D Your grandpa definitely was a cool cucumber ;)
    (did you know Limburg is (partly) in the Netherlands? And yet, I have no idea what Limburger cheese is. Go figure THAT!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I know why I don't like cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm definitely going vegan! Oh my goodness. Really, I'd have thrown up on that news and never touched the cheese again! My Uncle was drunk when he came to our house once, after going into the neighbors by mistake, and made a Skippy dog food sandwich which we all thought was gross enough but this story tops that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugggggggggggggh!! That's probably the "gross est" food story I have even heard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yvonne (and Robin) - I know what Limburger cheese is, I've smelled it ONCE. That was enough. It is world famous for distributing a smell most similar to sweaty feet of all cheeses in the world. Two Dutch scientists once selected it from 100+ varieties so they could do mosquito attraction experiments with it. The mosquitoes LOVED the cheese.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!