.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Learning to Read

Before I started school I was jealous of my brother.
HE got to go to school!
He knew how to read!
HE got to carry big important looking books!
HE got to have homework! I thought it was all so cool! (What can I say? I was uninformed! LOL)
So on my first day of ‘real’ school I was so excited!
I was going to learn to READ!
The problem was I thought there was some sort of magic wand they waved over your head and ‘poof’ you knew how to read!
No one told me you had to PRACTICE reading! What was all this phonetic stuff?
Where was the magic wand?
I still remember coming home that first day and feeling sooooo disappointed and betrayed! 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely illustration! Oh if only learning could work like that! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...poor thing.... But look at the fantabulous sketch you drew from the memory!!! I adore it!!! I want to make a quilt kinda sorta somethin like it for Sophia's fairy room!!! Can I? Can I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See...here you are now inspiring us, that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't had this memory! Love your drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, but don't you remember the excitement when you could read all by yourself? The first book I could read by myself was Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, there are many, MANY things I'd like to have access to by simple swirling of wands...
    When I don't get to my reading, I'm always reminded of Kim Basinger in My Stepmom is an Alien, where she would put her forearm in a book and got the whole experience in minutes. Not necessarily something I'd want for every amazing book out there (something to be said for slow savouring, too), but it would sure help with the pile of self-help books I have lying around. They're just waiting to save me & make me all wonderful and self-accepting - I KNOW it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!