.....and other random stuff......

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Creamed Corn Incident

Ah, the creamed corn incident…..
There are certain moments we remember more vividly than others in our lives. The ‘creamed corn incident’, as it became know in family lore, is one of those moments.
I am a picky eater. Or at least I was when I was a kid. My standard reply to any new or unusual food that I didn’t want to try was “I don’t like it!” Even if I had never tasted it before.
That, linked with a food allergy, limited my food choices and must have driven my mother nuts.
Which apparently proved true one night at dinner.
I don’t remember what else was served that night, but I definitely remember the creamed corn!
It was served in pretty little pink bowls. And looked to me like something that had already been eaten and partially digested by someone else.
So naturally, I demurely declined when served.
(And by demurely I mean I stuck out my chin, crossed my arms over my chest and emphatically declared, “NO! I DON”T LIKE IT!”)
It must have been a very long and tiring day for my mother, because before I knew what was happening she jumped out of her chair grabbed the dish of creamed corn and dumped it unceremoniously on my head!
As I sat there, creamed corn dripping into my hair and down my face, my father very calmly turned to my mother and said, “What exactly did that solve? Now you have a mess to clean up, plus a kid to clean up. And she still didn’t eat the corn!”
To this day, I don’t like creamed corn!

7 comments:

  1. Me too! ROFL! My Sophia is JUST SUCH a picky eater. Maybe if I dump food on her head and it trickles down in the area of her mouth...she'd at least get a taste. :) No wait...that's her mother's job! I'm teaching her that she can have whatever she wants in life!!!HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mean to laugh, but HAHAHAHAHAHA. I needed an afternoon pick me up and this did the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so funny. Love your picture. It even looks like my granddaughter when she was a bit younger. She didn't have food dumped on her back then but she had a chocolate mousse pie thrown at her just two weeks ago. She'd had a fight with her mom and her mom thought she'd help things get better by buying the pie when she was out getting groceries. She brought it home and asked her daughter if she was still mad. Daughter said no so mom said she could have her favorite pie then. Daughter said "I don't want any". Uh huh, pie was thrown. My daughter said she has never seen such a look of shock on either her daughter's or her husband's faces! I just wish I'd been there to see it. I think she was lucky and the pie was still in its box but it was a goner. My mother threw a cast iron frying pan at my dad who ducked so the pan went through the window. I bet a whole book could be written on stories such as these. Hopefully social services won't decide it's all abuse and come calling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your doctor appointments went well today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious....I can just see it, and trust me, I've thought about doing it with both my kids. Thanks for the laugh. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahaha - love your brand of demure :) & I can relate to what your mom did too - I haven't reached that point yet, not even close, but... at times, you just do what you have to do as a mom ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!