.....and other random stuff......

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Baby Steps, Baby Steps

I’ve been trying to eat more healthfully lately. Not for any earth shattering reasons, like to be healthier, or to slim down.
Mostly because my body is revolting against the food I’ve been putting into it.
But, OMG it’s HARD.
Have you read the food labels lately? Even things I thought were healthy…..not so much.
A normal person would think, ‘What could possibly be bad about a skinless, boneless chicken breast?’  Read the label. It’s not just chicken any more. They add broth and a ‘preservative’.
Why, you may ask?
 Because after they ‘dress’ the chicken they dunk it into a sodium bath to kill any bacteria (the ‘broth’.)  And what’s IN that ‘broth’? Who knows? They don’t have to put THAT on the label!
On the one hand I feel totally vindicated about telling my family that we can no longer eat like our grandparents did because the FOOD isn’t the same.
On the other hand we are preserving ourselves with our food (and not in a good way!)
Recent studies have shown a slowing in the rate of decay among human corpses due to the presence of preservatives from processed food.

YUCK!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Robin, I was just about to eat a chicken sandwich!! No, not really LOL. I'm with you about the preserving thing, what's in it etc etc. Probably best not to think about it too much. My seafood diet was a disaster : I see food and eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm....we cut back on a lot of mean and processed food in our house, but in the end we can't escape it. Chicken is our staple meat, and I often wonder what they mean by 'broth'. I think I'll just live on chocolate from now on. xx

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!