.....and other random stuff......

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The rollercoaster ride of self doubt

I hate the rollercoaster ride of self doubt, don’t you?

First comes the high of that one drawing/piece that hits the perfect notes. You are pleased (and just a little bit amazed) it turned out so well. (Actually, I like this part! Lol)

Then come the days when EVERYTHING you put your hand to is rubbish. You can’t even draw a decent line!

Your mind goes into overdrive. That niggling little voice in your head grows louder. It was a fluke; you don’t really have any talent.

Someone makes a thoughtless comment. (I have enough trouble dealing with my own insecurity; I don’t need your help, thankyouverymuch!) As a side note here, whatever happened to ‘if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all’?

It’s hard to shake off the negativity. It hangs in the air.

(sigh)

Bad day.

3 comments:

  1. OK just tell me who made that thoughtless comment and I'll take care of it.
    And yes Robin...I think we all have those days...but we create our next moment with our thoughts...so think good ones because you and your art are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I regret showing a piece to my husband but there is no one else around (minus blogging) to show it to until I get out to visit the grandkids. They like to flip through my journal and like everything I do. You need to find yourself a fan group such as they are! If someone makes that remark a second time do yourself a favor and don't share with them anymore. You do a very nice job. It's very hard to admit we won't make a masterpiece every time but the advice I've gotten on that is that if we did - we wouldn't really be stretching and learning. You didn't learn to write without practice or learn to walk without falling down a time or two. Give yourself some leeway even if others don't. The thing is to keep drawing and painting and then set them aside. When you look at them 6 months from now you'll be surprised to see your growth even when you are thinking you aren't growing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, 'guys'! Your kind words are music to my ears!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments!